Overpriced car insurance in Milwaukee can sap your accounts and force you to make sacrifices.
It’s shocking but the majority of drivers have stayed with the same insurance company for well over three years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never shopped around. With the average car insurance premium being $1,300, Wisconsin drivers could save as much as 30% a year just by comparing rates, but most just don’t grasp the amount of money they would save if they just switched companies. There are many insurers to insure vehicles with, and although it’s nice to be able to choose, more options can take longer to compare company pricing for Hyundai Elantra insurance in Milwaukee.
Buying the cheapest car insurance in Milwaukee is not that difficult. If you have insurance now or are just looking to switch companies, you can use these techniques to reduce the price you pay without reducing coverage. Drivers only have to learn the quickest method to find the lowest price online.
Don’t overlook these nine Hyundai Elantra insurance discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always advertise every policy discount in an easy-to-find place, so the list below details both the well known and also the lesser-known discounts that may be available.
- Low Mileage – Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with substantially lower auto insurance rates.
- Safe Driver Discounts – Accident-free drivers can save up to 40% or more on their Milwaukee car insurance quote as compared to drivers with claims.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in a professional or civic organization may earn a discount when shopping for auto insurance.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – Not a discount per se, but a few companies such as Liberty Mutual and GEICO will turn a blind eye to one accident before your rates go up if your claims history is clear before the accident.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them participate in a local driver’s education class in school.
- E-sign Discounts – A handful of auto insurance companies will give a small break just for signing your application online.
- Federal Government Employee – Active or retired federal employment may reduce rates when you quote Milwaukee car insurance depending on your auto insurance provider.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Passing a safe driver course could earn you a small percentage discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Military Rewards – Having a family member in the military may lower your premium rates slightly.
As a sidenote, most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Just because it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it just doesn’t work that way.
Popular auto insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are:
- Travelers offers discounts for payment discounts, continuous insurance, multi-car, student away at school, new car, and early quote.
- 21st Century offers discounts including theft prevention, teen driver, air bags, homeowners, automatic seat belts, student driver, and anti-lock brakes.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, good driver, driver’s education, good student, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- GEICO may have discounts that include seat belt use, emergency military deployment, five-year accident-free, defensive driver, and anti-theft.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for anti-theft, homeowner, drive less, accident prevention training, and bundle discounts.
- AAA may offer discounts for anti-theft, good student, multi-policy, pay-in-full, good driver, and multi-car.
When comparing rates, check with each company or agent which discounts you qualify for. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply in Milwaukee. To view insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Wisconsin, follow this link.
Finding a better price on auto insurance is pretty simple and can save money. The only requirement is to take the time getting comparison quotes provided by online insurance companies.
Comparison shopping price quotes online is easy and it makes it a waste of time to drive to local Milwaukee insurance agencies. Comparing Hyundai Elantra insurance rate quotes online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you’re the type of person who wants the trained advice of a local agency. Although you can comparison shop online and still use a local agent.
The companies in the list below offer free rate quotes in Milwaukee, WI. If the list has multiple companies, it’s a good idea that you visit two to three different companies in order to find the cheapest rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Elantra GLS Touring Station Wagon||$106||$190||$264||$16||$78||$654||$55|
|Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$108||$278||$242||$14||$72||$714||$60|
|Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$124||$278||$242||$14||$72||$730||$61|
|Elantra SE 4-Dr Sedan||$154||$358||$220||$14||$66||$812||$68|
|Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$94||$184||$220||$14||$66||$578||$48|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Wisconsin minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, and homeowner. Price information does not factor in garaging location in Milwaukee which can increase or decrease coverage rates noticeably.
Age-based car insurance rates by gender
The illustration below shows the comparison of Hyundai Elantra insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The prices are based on no claims or driving citations, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to contact an insurance agent
Many drivers would rather sit down with an agent and that is just fine! Agents can make sure you are properly covered and help submit paperwork. A good thing about price shopping on the web is that you can find cheap car insurance quotes and also buy local.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, the coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in Milwaukee that can give you free Milwaukee car insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to contact any agents since price quotes are sent to you directly. If you have a need to compare rates from a particular provider, you just need to navigate to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Deciding on a provider is decision based upon more than just the price. Any good agent in Milwaukee should know the answers to these questions.
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
Milwaukee auto insurance agents come in two flavors
When looking for a local Milwaukee insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures and how they function. Car insurance agencies are either independent or exclusive. Either type can sell car insurance policies, but it’s worth mentioning the difference in the companies they write for since it could factor into your selection of an agent.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type can only provide one company’s prices and examples are AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. They are unable to provide other company’s prices so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents are well schooled on the products they sell which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agencies in Milwaukee that are able to give price quote information.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be independent can quote rates with many companies so they have the ability to put coverage with multiple insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they find a lower price, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing rate quotes, you will want to check rates from a few independent agents for maximum quote selection.
Below are Milwaukee independent insurance agents willing to provide price quotes.
Why you need Elantra insurance in Wisconsin
Even though Milwaukee Elantra insurance rates can get expensive, insuring your vehicle is mandatory in Wisconsin but it also protects more than you think.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability if you want to drive legally. In Wisconsin these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lien holder, it’s most likely the lender will require you to have full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Hyundai for a lot more money and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your Hyundai Elantra. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses incurred in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially with large liability claims. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying more than $830 a year so we recommend shopping around every year to make sure the price is not too high.
Auto insurance specifics
Having a good grasp of your policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need for your vehicles. Auto insurance terms can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy. These are typical coverage types found on the average auto insurance policy.
Auto collision coverage
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your Elantra resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against things such as crashing into a ditch, rolling your car, scraping a guard rail, colliding with a tree and backing into a parked car. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. It’s also possible to bump up the deductible on your Elantra to get cheaper collision coverage.
Coverage for liability
Liability coverage provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to people or other property in an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see policy limits of 25/50/10 which means a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and $10,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against things like legal defense fees, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, loss of income, bail bonds and repair costs for stationary objects. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but consider buying as much as you can afford. Wisconsin state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/10 but you should consider buying more coverage.
Medical expense coverage
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for bills like ambulance fees, X-ray expenses and doctor visits. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers both the driver and occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims such as fire damage, hail damage and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The highest amount a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
This protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. This coverage pays for hospital bills for your injuries as well as damage to your Hyundai Elantra.
Since many Wisconsin drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (Wisconsin limits are 25/50/10), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea.
Cheaper car insurance premiums are out there
While you’re price shopping online, don’t be tempted to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many cases where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to find out they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Throughout this article, we presented quite a bit of information on how to save on Hyundai Elantra insurance in Milwaukee. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the best price on car insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. These companies often have lower premium rates on specific markets as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
For more information, feel free to visit these articles:
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for High School Students in Milwaukee? (FAQ)
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)