How long has it been since the last time you looked for lower-priced Dodge Durango insurance in Milwaukee? Are you a victim of an overpriced car insurance policy? Believe me when I say you’re not the only one.
Sadly, the vast majority of Wisconsin car insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for more than four years, and 38% of customers have never compared rates to find cheaper insurance. Consumers in America can cut their rates by approximately $859 a year, but they underestimate the benefits if they just switched companies.
People have multiple insurers to insure vehicles with, and although it’s a good thing to be able to choose, more choices can make it harder to find the lowest rates for Dodge Durango insurance in Milwaukee.
Finding affordable protection in Milwaukee is easy to do. In essence, every person who shops around for auto insurance will probably find a cheaper policy. Nevertheless, Wisconsin consumers must understand the methods companies use to market on the web and apply this information to your search.
How to compare Dodge Durango insurance price quotes in Milwaukee, WI
Many insurance companies make it easy to get coverage prices online. Getting quotes for Dodge Durango insurance in Milwaukee can be done by anyone as you just type in the amount of coverage you want as requested by the quote form. Behind the scenes, the company’s rating system orders your driving and credit reports and returns a price based on the data you entered. This streamlines rate comparisons, and it’s absolutely necessary to do this if you want to get a lower rate.
In order to find out how much you can save on auto insurance, check out the auto insurance providers below. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended that you enter your coverages as shown on your current policy. This ensures you are getting rate comparison quotes for the exact same coverage.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Milwaukee, WI. If multiple providers are shown, it’s a good idea that you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Three reasons insurance is important
Despite the high cost, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Wisconsin these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, most banks will force you to buy full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Dodge at a more expensive rate and make you pay the higher premium.
- Insurance protects your Dodge and your assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you have damage to your Dodge as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially for larger claims. Unknowingly, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $825 a year so smart consumers compare quotes every year to ensure rates are competitive.
These five discounts can lower Dodge Durango insurance rates
Some companies don’t always advertise the entire discount list in an easy-to-find place, so the next list breaks down some of the more common and the harder-to-find credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Milwaukee car insurance online.
- Telematics Discount – Insureds who allow data collection to study driving patterns by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could save a few bucks as long as the data is positive.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Larger insurance carriers have better auto insurance rates if you take out a life insurance policy as well.
- College Student – Older children who live away from home at college and do not have a car could qualify for this discount.
- Early Signing – A few larger companies allow discounts for switching companies prior to the expiration date on your current Durango insurance policy. This can save 10% or more.
You should keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. If you do the math and it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, that’s just not realistic. But any discount should help lower the premium cost.
Companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are included below.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including multi-car, type of vehicle, ease of repair, multi-policy, age of vehicle, and accident-free.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for good student, multi-car, mature driver, teen driver, and electronic funds transfer.
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include youthful driver, good student, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, driver training, renewal discount, and 55 and retired.
- State Farm discounts include accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, safe vehicle, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and good driver.
- Allstate policyholders can earn discounts including passive restraint, good payer, farm vehicle, safe driver, early signing, and anti-theft.
- GEICO includes discounts for anti-lock brakes, driver training, air bags, good student, seat belt use, and multi-policy.
When quoting, ask each insurance company how many discounts you can get. A few discounts may not apply in Milwaukee. For a list of providers that offer multiple discounts in Wisconsin, follow this link.
Buying from car insurance agents
A small number of people still like to sit down with an agent and that is a smart decision One of the great benefits of comparing insurance online is the fact that you can find lower rates but still work with a licensed agent. Putting coverage with local insurance agents is definitely important in Milwaukee.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your business. You won’t even need to find an agent due to the fact that quote results will go directly to you. You can find lower rates and an insurance agent to talk to. In the event you want to compare rates from a specific insurance provider, feel free to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Different types of car insurance agents in Milwaukee
When researching an insurance agent, there are two different types of agencies and how they operate. Insurance policy providers are categorized either independent or exclusive.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent are not employed by one company so they can insure your vehicles with many different companies and find you the best rates. If your premiums go up, an independent agent can move your coverage and you stay with the same agent.
When comparing insurance prices, it’s recommended you include rate quotes from a few independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Below is a short list of independent agencies in Milwaukee who may be able to give you free insurance quotes.
12344 W Layton Ave – Milwaukee, WI 53228 – (414) 235-3561 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents can only place business with one company like Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so they have no alternatives for high prices. They are well trained on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Listed below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Milwaukee that are able to give comparison quotes.
Finding a good insurance agent should depend on more than just the price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Where are claims handled?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Milwaukee?
Auto insurance coverage breakdown
Knowing the specifics of a auto insurance policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Shown next are the usual coverages offered by auto insurance companies.
Coverage for medical expenses – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for short-term medical expenses such as X-ray expenses, funeral costs, EMT expenses and hospital visits. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. It covers you and your occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers – This coverage provides protection from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries as well as damage to your Dodge Durango.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (25/50/10 in Wisconsin), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Usually your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Auto liability insurance – Liability coverage can cover damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people that is your fault. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see limits of 25/50/10 which stand for $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $10,000. Alternatively, you may have a combined single limit or CSL which provides one coverage limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability coverage protects against things like court costs, bail bonds and emergency aid. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but consider buying as much as you can afford. Wisconsin requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/10 but drivers should carry higher limits.
Collision coverage – This coverage pays for damage to your Durango resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against claims like rolling your car, sustaining damage from a pot hole, sideswiping another vehicle and driving through your garage door. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. Another option is to increase the deductible on your Durango in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Comprehensive auto insurance – This will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like damage from flooding, hail damage, damage from getting keyed, damage from a tornado or hurricane and hitting a deer. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Persistence will pay off
When searching for low cost Milwaukee car insurance quotes, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many instances, drivers have reduced liability coverage limits and found out when filing a claim they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your strategy should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Budget-friendly insurance in Milwaukee can be sourced from both online companies and from local insurance agents, so you need to quote Milwaukee car insurance with both to have the best selection. Some companies may not offer price quotes online and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agents.
More detailed insurance information can be read in the articles below:
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Drivers Under 25 in Milwaukee? (FAQ)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)